Our amazing new site will launch in

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Featured Wardrobe Stylist: Askia Abdull


Everybody always complains that Atlanta is full of wannabes - wanting to be models, wanting to be stylist, wanting to be rappers - and then you meet a few genuine people with tangible credits, and a substantial resumé and realize, some people really are who they say they are!

Well, I've been following this Wardrobe Stylist, based in Atlanta, for about a solid 6 months, and I knew I had to feature him and his work on the website; unfortunately our busy schedules never permitted such a time but finally the stars have aligned, and I snagged the interview!!

I would like for you all to meet, haute wardrobe stylist and fashion industry insider, Askia Abdull.



For all aspiring wardrobe stylist, this is THEE INTERVIEW for you!!

Check out the interview below:

Name: Askia IBN Abdullah Bryant (Askia Abdull)
Age: 24
Where You're From: San Diego, California Where You Currently Reside: Woodstock, GA

1. What is a Wardrobe Stylist in your own words?
A wardrobe stylist is a individual who styles models, celebrities and other public figures for events, concerts, photo shoots and many other things.A stylist pulls full head to toe looks (ex: tops, bottoms, shoe's, etc..) . from boutiques, department store, and designers. They can provide services such as personal shopping, reconstructing a client's wardrobe, re-organizing a client's closet and even so helping a designer create their new collection.

2. What is your definition of Fashion? 
ME!, I AM FASHION . I'm always expressing myself through the clothes I wear. I'm all about being daring and just going for it. This is my life, my job/career its’ like a drug to me. I'm always changing from season to season bringing back old trends and creating my own.

3. What is Style? Or are Style & Fashion the same thing?
Style and Fashion are very much two different things. Style is more so about individualism and self-expression, turning a design or even a trend into your own and making it fit you. Fashion is like a guide to style; because it’s more so what are the hot new trends coming down the runway for the season and showing you how you should wear it.

4. What got you into the Fashion Industry? What or Who made you want to work so diligently to break into one of the toughest industries?
I've always loved fashion as a young teenager and I've always wanted to be a designer. I started off making t-shirts in high school, going shopping with friends picking out outfits for them to wear and even just helping out random people at the mall. Lol. I love how it’s just so cut throat and people just tell u how it is in this industry as well as all the behind the scenes work. I'm a hard working person. I make something out of nothing and I feel this is what the fashion industry is all about. This is what mostly got me into fashion.

5. Who do you collaborate with on style ideas? Or is it just you?
I mostly come up with my own style ideas for everything I do. I don't really do any collabs because I'm mostly building my portfolio right now and I want it to be all me and no one else.

6. What are 3 Words that describes your personal sense of style? And what is your favorite store to shop at?
Daring, Creative, and Chic I'll get lil things from the mall but Urban Outfitters, Zara, Standard, just got into Club Monaco and H&M is pretty ok..but I'm mostly a vintage dude. love love love thirft stores I can always walk in find what I want and go.. lol American thrift store, Park ave thirft, Lucky exchange, and I love love Value Village.

7. Can someone be taught how to style other people? Or does it come naturally?
I want to say lil of both because now a days it’s not that hard to get on Youtube or something and watch a "how to videos" on how to style or you can even so work under another styles and they can teach you mostly what they know. plus people give styling class's. you don't always have to be stylish just to know how to style. Most people think that. To most styling does come natural those are mostly the real creative ones.

8. Who is your ultimate style dream (Who do you have to style before you die?)
I have to style Rihanna. I love everything about this woman underdog who came out on top. ugh!! models Salieu Jalloh love, Dominique Hollington, Sebastian Savue, female models Coco ROCHA, Kate Moss let me stop lol

9. So far, who was one of the best photographers, designers or models that you've worked with (Name Drop)?
I will always be forever greatful for photographer Raphael Simien he mostly was the one that put me on the map as a stylist.GOD love love love Carlos Jones one of the best photographers i've worked with like he really knows what he's doing. its like a in and out with him and i love that. Celeberity photographer Derek Blanks love all his work. who else Raphael Baker another dope one , Porsha Antalan love her, smh amazing Ty Xavier, the lovely Lady E photography i know i'm forgetting few but love everyone who i worked with. big shout out to my love Vicotrya Wagner a person you all should really look out for. models Cavier Colemen (20 managment) now this dude right here is more then amazing. i love his passion and drive for this when i tell you this boy models down to his toes omg......... DiAndrea Redding (of element) another one that models down to her toes love her. My loves, the CLERMONT TWINS, Shannade and Shannon Clermont love these girls feels like we grow up together we all started our careers at the same time and are still growing into something big love these guys. other models i love such as Victor Rodriguezs (st. claire models), Broderick Hunter (LA models, D Management Group, wilhelmina), Yoonj Kim(HOP model managment), Angel Rivera (HOP Model Management) who else Keith lee, Keith Carlos, Tierra Benton, Alaisa Ballard (ANTM Cycle 14), Micah Roseboro. havn't really worked with to many designers yet but CALAPO BY Carey Powers i love his work. look out for his new collections for men and women.

10. What is your MUST HAVE piece that transcends from season to season? 
Sneakers, shades & my tansand browns and my colors

11. What's your favorite fashion season, and why? 
Ugh!!! LLLLLLLOOOOOVVVVVVVEEEEE Spring the whole color scheme is dope. love color blocking, when i start to pull out shorts and loafers. love the color scheme of Fall as well love my tans, light browns n darks love laying everything wearing denim and boots. Winter is one of my best times of the year I get to pull out the Furs and give you some leather as well big coats and socks laying.. ugh love!

12. What is your styling goal for 2012? 
I would say more shooting working on more fashion shows, more collabs, drop my very own blog as well. Vist NYC and do work as well, BIGGEST GOAL EVER GET MY PASSPORT :)

13. Do you have any advice for any other up and coming wardrobe stylist? I would say start off by taking anything, just to get you some images to start you off ;find what sets u apart as a stylist in this industry.NETWORK NETWORK NETWORK this is a must really it's all about who you know in this industry as well. KNOW YOUR CRAFT

14. Are you planning any fashion shows, or showcases?
Got a few projects coming up with a few artist and a major fashion show me and a few others are putting together details coming soon :)

15. Do you have a website?
TWITTER :: twitter.com/askiaabdull
MODEL MAYHEM :: modelmayhem.com/askiaabdullwardrobestylist
TUMBLR :: thehighclasslowlife.tumblr.com
Contact Him for Bookings at: abdullstyles@gmail.com

Styling Work


model: Broderick Hunter
shot by: Carlos Jones


models: Shannon and Shannade Clermont
photographer: Raphael Simien


models: Diandrea Redding, Amanda Akosa, Ahlon Black
photographer: Rapheal Simien


photograhper: Carlos Jones
models: Kieth Lee


model: Alasia Ballard (ANTM cycle 14) c
celebrity photographer: Derek Blanks


model: Diandrea Redding
celebrity photographer: Derek Blanks



model: Tierra Benton
photographer: Porsha Antalan


model: Yoonj Kim
shot by: Raphael Baker


model: Diandrea Redding
shot by: Raphael Baker


model: Victor Rodriguez
shot by: Raphael Baker


model: Cavier Coleman
shot by: Raphael Baker


No comments:

Post a Comment

Fashion + Opinion = Style

About Me

My Photo
I am an Image Consultant, it's not what I do, but rather who I am. This is a Style Blog.. point. blank. period. Follow me on Twitter.. @STYLEretard
Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive

Blog Lovin'

Jump :: Look of the Week

Popular Posts

Labels

Labels

Link with the Kidz!!

Blogger news

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Blogroll

Search

Popular Posts